Sunday, October 27, 2013

Review: The Only Exception by Magan Vernon

The Only Exception
Author: Magan Vernon
Publisher: Beautifully Broken Books
Publication Date: April 9, 2013
Genre: New Adult
Source: Purchased

~Synopsis~
Monica Remy doesn’t make exceptions.

The fiery nineteen-year-old transferred to Central College to escape her problems, blend into the crowd and forget the past. But escape becomes almost impossible when she attracts the attention of her new and undeniably sexy neighbor: Trey Chapman, the governor’s son.

Despite his vivid green eyes, adorable freckles, and athletic body, Trey is everything that Monica despises - haughty, conservative, bossy. And able to get under her skin in a way no other man ever could. 

A class project forces the unlikely pair together, their chemistry building with each heated debate. But when the ghosts of Monica’s past come back to haunt her, both their beliefs will be tested, and both will be forced to see the world in a new light. 

Their differences threaten to tear them apart, unless they can make one another their only exception.

**Due to sexual content and heavy subject matter, this book is recommended for ages 16+**



~Review~

I picked up The Only Exception a few months ago but hadn’t had the chance to read it yet. When I was booked for the tour for The Only One, which is the second book in the series, I really wanted to read this book first. While they are both stand alones, I like reading companions in order so I know the story surrounding the side characters too. I wish I hadn’t waited so long to read this one.

Monica has just transferred to Central University after her freshman year at Taylor. She went through something traumatic and she needed the change of scenery to start over. She is a staunch believer in women’s rights, especially after the state’s Republican Governor passed a birth control bill that directly affected her. When she moves into her new apartment, the first person she meets is Trey, the Governor’s son. While Trey is bent on breaking down Monica’s defenses, Monica is trying not to fall for him. As the sexual tension an chemistry between them heats up, Monica finds it harder and harder to deny her feelings for Trey.

I liked Monica. She is smart, witty and she sticks to her beliefs no matter what. She has been through a difficult situation but she didn’t let it completely beat her down. She talked to her parents, she saw a counselor, she made changes. I liked that she didn’t shut down and become a shell of a person. I also really liked that she doesn’t let down her guard so easy with Trey. She has very different political beliefs than he does and she isn’t afraid to debate them. She doesn’t drop everything she believes because the gorgeous and rich Trey Chapman gives her the time of day. In fact, she does the opposite. She challenges him and that’s what draws Trey to her.

I actually really liked Trey a lot. He has the potential to be a pretentious prick but he is actually kind, smart and a total gentleman. He is strong in his beliefs but he never belittles Monica and he is open minded. He loves that Monica challenges him and doesn’t just agree to everything he says. She really sees him for who HE is and not who his family or his father is. I loved the way he opened up with Monica and how much he respected her and her beliefs. He wasn't judgmental or put off by her confessions and I loved that he was man enough to admit when he might be wrong and that everything isn’t just black and white.

My favorite part of this book was the easy, witty back and forth between Monica and Trey. They definitely have this connection and chemistry but at the same time, they have completely different beliefs. I mean, Trey is a staunch Republican and Monica is a liberal Democrat. If that doesn’t make for some heated debates, I don’t know what would. Another thing I really liked was that this book wasn’t all about Monica’s ordeal. She shared those details with Trey early on and he helped her deal with the past and come to terms with it. What this book was really about was how two people could get inside each other and show them that the world is full of color. Monica showed Trey that everything isn’t just black and white and Trey showed Monica that you can’t judge a book by its cover. While they were both staunch on their beliefs, for each other, they made an exception.

“You’re the only girl I’ve ever fallen so hard for. I never thought I’d love a bleeding-heart liberal with facial piercings, but you’re truly the only exception.”

There were a few side characters that I really liked in this book, including Melanie and John boy. Melanie is Monica’s best friend and she is super supportive. She encourages Monica to confront her issues and to get some counseling to help with them. John Boy is Trey’s big brother at the fraternity and he seems like a good guy. He gives Monica a lot of crap but that’s just his personality and he always has Trey’s back. We don’t get to know Melanie and John Boy that much in this book but read The Only One and you will. And trust me, you’ll like what you see.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and the plot was a little different and unique, which is always something I’m looking for considering I read a lot of new adult books. I liked the way the author handled the tough subject that she included in this book. I also found the character development to be well done and it was super easy to connect to Monica and Trey and to find myself buried in their story to the very end. Next up, Melanie and John Boy’s story, so stop by tomorrow and see my review of The Only One.

~IPOD Picks~
‘The Only Exception” by Paramore
“Every Breath” by Boyce Avenue


PURCHASE LINKS:

2 comments:

  1. I've been intrigued about this one for a long time! So glad you enjoyed it! I plan to pick it up soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed it. The second book, The Only One was even better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, you have truly made my day! I love reading and discussing other's thoughts and ideas. Leave a link to your blog and I would love to stop by!